Proud Of Pride?... Revisited

You may remember my blog a couple of years ago discussing the debate on 'pride' events. If you haven't read it, make the jump and go HERE now.

My feelings on the matter are clear, there is definitely a need for Pride events given that there are still roads to travel in the goal desire for equality. That word comes up a lot nowadays, 'equality', and I agree that an event that appears to give us a voice to scream "I am different" isn't exactly the best statement in advocating equality. Especially when it is only the most 'sensationalist' of us that is portrayed in the media - just to be clear, I don't think that these people are behaving in a sensationalist way but it is the media portraying us that way.

I also return to my feelings that actually, pride events are an opportunity to respectfully celebrate those who have spent their lives in a war in order to give us the freedom to declare our sexuality without fear of recriminations. In essence, that is what a pride event has become but now we need to take it to the next level.

At this point, we need to do more to be inclusive of those who have supported us over the years, regardless of their sexuality. I think the efforts of those organising these events may need to focus on changing the image that Pride events are exclusive to the LGBT community. A message that I am sure many of us agree with! By claiming an exclusivity we do ourselves no favours and so why not change the overall image of a pride event to declare, regardless of sexuality, that everyone can be proud of who they are. Is it simply a matter of fact that pride events are now out of date and out of touch? One suggestion could possibly be that these sort of events are brought to an end and some kind of new entity is created. I actually enjoy the freedoms that the events allow, especially that I can walk hand in hand with my husband without fear of coming face to face with the blunt force of somebody else's fist for instance.

I have heterosexual friends who have often toiled with the idea of coming along but chose not to in case they don't feel welcome. Whether that feeling is more their hang up or not, we can help to redress the balance in the way in which we portray the events. Call it PR if you will, but more could be done to tell the rest of the world that these events are inclusive and while they are a celebration of the LGBT community, they ARE for everyone. I know I would be happy to see my heterosexual friends come and join the celebrations and support that battle for equality. I am friends with a couple who take their children to parts of the pride events because they support the notion that we, as a community, can all live together happily. A nice cotton wool candy ideal perhaps, nevertheless it is something we all want to see. They support the fight for equality and more importantly, they are proud of their sexuality and they are proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with the rest of us who also have pride in whatever we are. Who are we to stand in their way?

I personally think an even more publicly inclusive approach is the way forward but I'm curious to hear your thoughts. Let me know what you think in the comments section below.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top