My Music Chart: MAY 2017

So here is the update for my Top 20 played tracks for the month of May.

April saw the entire Steps album ‘Tears On The Dancefloor’ dominating my Top 20, taking up 12 spots. After the initial obsession with the album, I’ve been listening to a more shuffled balance of tracks with only 'Scared Of The Dark' managing to stay in the Top 20, dropping 8 places to number 9. Again, this means a large number of new entries on the chart.

The most listened to new entry comes from Todrick Hall feat. RuPaul. 'Low' is a cracking track which is an insatiable blend of hip-hop and dance, a trend making waves in the big charts right now. I can see this song being a regular go to when I want to just dance it out. Todrick is supremely talented and having RuPaul appear on the track adds an extra glittering of star quality! Go check out the video HERE too…

I should also mention the next highest new entry, 'Holding Out For A Hero', from an often mocked but undeniably legend that is Bonnie Tyler. This track has always been one of my favourite songs of all time. I’ll go months without hearing it but when it does crop up I’ll more often than not put it on repeat for a bit. It always brings back memories of the film Short Circuit 2, the song blasting out while robot Johnny 5 is tearing along a dock seeking justice against the thugs who tried to terminate him. Those are great memories. Some may call it a guilty pleasure and so be it. This is still an incredible track for me.

Also sneaking into the chart at 18 was 'Molossus' by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, taken from the Batman Begins soundtrack. As well as being one of my absolute favourite movies (and the trilogy as a whole), Zimmer is possibly my absolute favourite film score writer. I find the track 'Molossus' so powerful and evocative. I almost feel that even I could be a superhero when I hear it… weird huh?

Finally, the number 1 track for me this month was 'It Takes A Lot To Know A Man' from Damien Rice. The song is a rip bare honest account of what a relationship can be like highlight just how difficult it can be at times. The gradually building orchestration makes this song epic in scale but lyrically cutting in its honesty. Rice has always been an artist that I feel I can connect with when I hear him sing. They are not just words, but a conversation and this song really powers this point home. I strongly recommend you check out how he performs this track live too. It takes the concept of a ‘one-man-band’ to a whole new level. You can check out the video HERE.

Here is how the rest of the chart shaped up:


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top