My Music Chart: August


How on Earth is it September already? August has absolutely flown by and with it, so did the amount of music I listened to! As always, I will start off with the stats...


As I mentioned last month, I expected the August numbers to see massive increases compared to July, mainly because we were on holiday for the two weeks and I really didn't listen to very much music at all. Holidays are the only time that ever really happens. That said, the percentage of plays coming from the Top 20 is the highest it has ever been. This month I was repeating a lot of songs on multiple days and listening to particular playlists.

Also of note, is that 13 of the Top 20 were New Entries that hadn't charted before with only 3 songs that charted last month and 3 that were re-entries from a previous month.

The top song from last month that stayed on the chart was City of Stars from La La Land, dropping one place to come in at No. 4. My love of the movie and the soundtrack that goes with it has yet to fade although this month I was definitely listening to very specific tracks; City of Stars and Another Day of Sun are stand out favourites for me. The latter always manages to put a smile on my face and makes me feel energised. In the movie itself it is a pretty incredible scene too, check it out...



Doesn't it just make you smile? I love how it reflects all the individual stories of how the people in the traffic jam came to LA looking for fame and fortune and even when it's not going well, it's another day of sun.

You many notice a few pieces of soundtrack from Disney theme parks coming in quite high too. With some post holiday blues, I was listening to a tracks which remind me of all the great memories. The highest ranking of these coming from my favourite Disney nighttime spectacular: Fantasmic! I'll be writing about the show a fair bit in an upcoming journal if you want to find out what I thought of the new show and the wonderful experience we had!

Falling Slowly from the musical 'Once' was the highest climber this month, moving up five places to come in at No. 7. It is simply a stunning song and is a go to when I am feeling particularly pensive.

The Top 3 of amongst my favourite songs of all time so I am not surprised to see them finally cropping up on the chart. The Show Must Go On from Queen is my favourite song from the band and an absolute classic! 

You probably won't recognise Virgin State of Mind by K's Choice unless you are a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan. The song appeared in the show and on the first soundtrack album. It is quite an abstract, dark and brooding sort of track which, again, is a go to when I deep in thought.

Finally, coming in at the top spot, was Damien Rice again, but this time with another of his incredible songs. 9 Crimes had me hooked the first time I heard it from the very opening bars with the hauntingly beautiful piano melody. It also features additional vocals from Lisa Hannigan who has a gorgeous breathy voice and between the two of them, they tell a very honest story. I strongly recommend giving it a listen...



So that pretty much sums up the chart for August with the full listing just below:



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top