Movember Moi?

Putting it really simply, this year I am going to be taking part in Movember. If you have no idea what that is, I shall explain.

The Movember Foundation began in 2003 and is a charity which is tackling men’s health on a global level. Each November, men are encouraged to grow a moustache, effectively ‘changing’ their face. This is to raise awareness of the campaign and to is the foundations' goal, ‘to change the face of men’s health’.

The reason for the campaign is to raise awareness of the issues around men’s health and tackling some of the biggest health issues faced by men such as prostate cancer and testicular cancer as well as mental health and suicide prevention. Since 2003 they have helped fund over 1,200 projects to save lives. In the UK and in 2016 alone, the campaign and all of the Mo Bros and Mo Sistas (all the people that take part) raised £6.9 Million for the Movember Foundation. Over the last 14 years, they have raised £490 Million for men’s health.

If you want to find out more about the foundation, you can visit their website HERE.

So now you know what it is, you might have an idea why I am taking part, being a guy and all that. The biggest killer of men in the UK under the age of 45 is suicide. Despite all of the different diseases, accidents or violence that could kill men, suicide is far more frequent! This a horrifying fact and more needs to be done to help young men that feel that is their only option. We’ve all had dark times and some of us are lucky enough to have the support we need. Not everyone is that lucky and so anything to help more guys get help is a great cause in my book.

What is going to be quite amusing is that I have never attempted to properly grow facial hair before. Sure, I have days where I don’t bother shaving and to be honest, the results are not great! I have no idea what I am going to look like by the time November comes to an end. I may end up looking like an even crazier loon but it really doesn’t matter. This is about raising that money. I have pledged to raise £250 this year for the foundation. That may seem a little small but everyone has to start somewhere right?

Of course, I will also be sharing updates throughout November too.

If you can spare anything at all, please stop by and make a donation to my Movember Page HERE or you can donate through my Facebook fundraiser page HERE

Thanks for stopping by and reading (and thanks for donating if you do) x

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top