My Music Chart: October 2017

Only me with the monthly update on what I have been listening to...


The statistics (yes I am numbers nerd in case you hadn't worked it out already) are a little better this month. This has come about through a quite a few longer road trips this month so my music has been playing a lot more.


As you can see the total number of songs played and the total play count have increased but given the nature of being on the road a fair amount I have been using shuffle even more and so the average play count and the amount of plays in the Top 20 have seen a decrease. That said, the Top 20 did see quite a lot of re-entries this month.

The top re-entry this month came from Take That at number three. 'SOS' is definitely one of those that I might not listen to for a while and then it springs up again and I can't get enough. It was easily my favourite track on the 'Progress' album which is also one of my favourite albums from the group. I love the electro synthesiser feel than runs throughout. Coupled with the political lyrics it reveals a very dystopian view of the future. It is very thought provoking.

There was also a couple of interesting new entries this month. One of which being 'Cruel Intentions' by Melanie C. This was a B-Side track but it has a very dark brooding tone which I listen to a lot and I am little surprised that it hasn't charted previously. Melanie is a very talented but often overlooked and underrated British female artist. I wish that her albums garnered more widespread acclaim but I do kind of enjoy feeling like I am one of the few in on the secret that she is simply incredible.

Another track that surprised me in that it hadn't charted already was Bob the Drag Queen with 'Bloodbath' which was also the top performing new entry this month, coming in at number four. This one is a grimy, base-laden floor filler with an appropriately twisted music video. I can't get enough of drag queens and their music 'careers' but I do think Bob could easily be a complete breakout success. I am waiting with fishy bated breath for an album! Check out the fiendishly dark and perfect for Halloween video to 'Bloodbath'...



Melanie C saw another new entry in the chart this month. 'Anymore' was the lead single from her most recent album 'Version Of Me'. Melanie herself has spoken often about how she wanted to try something new on this album and 'Anymore' is certainly a departure of sorts from what you would expect or remember of her. I think this song is both commercially friendly but also perfect for a dance-floor, which is handy considering the lyrical content.

There was also an unusual new entry in the form of Kelis' 'Trick Me'. As you may have noticed in previous updates, Kelis is definitely one of my absolute favourite artists so it is not a surprise to see her in the chart, it is however, a surprise that 'Trick Me' is a new entry, given I have been listening to it repeatedly over the years. Everyone knows the track and I don't think I need to say more but I did want to dip my cap to one the biggest songs of my late teens and early twenties.

That brings me to this months Number 1. Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the sheer genius and undeniable power of P!nk. She often gets overlooked and she tends to hold off on releasing material unless she really has something to say. The times we are living in definitely needed a fresh perspective and P!nk is the perfect artist to provide. 'Beautiful Trauma' is another departure in terms of style and genre and yet P!nk manages to nail it with absolutely brutal frankness. This album already stands up alongside her already impressive back catalogue and with 'Beautiful Trauma' as a single she shows off her incredible versatility once again.

The only video released for it at the time of publishing is a 'Dance Video' but I strongly suggest you check it out because once again, P!nk shows an insatiable artistry even when she isn't in the video. The choreography and performances in the video are absolutely on point!...



So that about wraps this up for October, here is the full Top 20...


Thanks for stopping by and reading x

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top